"What Do You Believe?" Muslim-Christian Panel Discussion
- Date: Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Many Christians "know" a lot about Islam - but only from the news or similar sources and not from actual Muslims. That's why we hosted this Q&A conversation with local Muslims at Redemption Church. Hear our Muslim friends' thoughts on ISIS, Islamophobia, women's modesty, and other issues.
Our guests include Usama Shami, President of the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix; Imam Ahmad of the Tempe Islamic Center; Muna Ali, Co-Founder of the Islamic Speakers' Bureau; and Jackie Parks of Peace Catalyst International. Hosted by Rick Love and Josh Prather.
A few questions to guide you as you listen and respond to this podcast:
- What are the articles of the Islamic faith?
- What similarities do you see between Christianity and Islam? Differences?
- How is Jesus’ role in Islam similar to his role in Christianity? How is his role different?
- Why is the oneness of God so important to Christians and Muslims?
- How do Islamic and Christian views of God/Allah overlap?
- How can you be true to your faith while also working for peace?
- In what ways (if any) did the Imam’s introduction of Islam change your understanding of the Islamic faith?
How did Rick Love’s introduction of Christianity change your understanding of the Christian faith?
- In what ways could/have your misunderstandings of Islam affected the ways you extend love to your Muslim neighbors? In what ways could/have your misunderstandings of Christianity affected the way you extend love to your Christian neighbors?
- How can you rewrite the rhetoric of hate in your own circles and communities?